How to Choose Your Gas Genset?
Gas internal combustion generator set is a kind of power generation equipment that converts the energy in the gas into electric energy. They operate slightly differently than other types of generators, and there are multiple factors to consider in how to choose the right gas gensets for you.
Let’s first understand how the gas generator unit works, we need to consider what factors in order to choose good gas gensets for you.
How does a gas internal combustion generator set work?
Gas generator set is a kind of equipment that uses gas combustion to generate heat energy, which is converted into mechanical energy by the internal combustion engine, and then converted into electric energy by the generator. The working system can be roughly divided into three parts: gas supply, internal combustion engine, and generator.
- Gas supply system
Gas generator sets need to send gas to internal combustion engines through pipelines or gas storage tanks.
- Internal-combustion engine system
The internal combustion engine is the core component of the gas generator set. The gas is burned in the internal combustion engine to produce high-temperature and high-pressure gas, which drives the piston movement and thus drives the crankshaft rotation.
- Generator system
A generator is a device that converts mechanical energy produced by an internal combustion engine into electrical energy. Generators work by using the principle of electromagnetic induction, which creates an electric current through a rotating magnetic field.
How to choose the right gas genset for you?
When considering a technically-sound and efficient energy system, it’s important to take into account various components: the cost, the viability of renewable energy sources, the flexibility of battery storage, and most importantly, the central element – gas generating units. Gas gensets are key to finding an affordable yet environmentally-safe power generation solution.
Therefore, we suggest that you need to consider the following important factors:
1) The installation cost of the gas generator set solution is highly competitive, making it an ideal option for projects which require a limited area and kilowatts. This is just one of many reasons why it’s such a great option.
2) Economy and efficiency are key factors for the success of a project, meaning that total system efficiency directly affects cost. Determining the amount of gas fuel that your power plant will require is essential, as up to 75% of energy production costs can be attributed to fuel expenses. Gas-fired internal combustion generators boast a high-efficiency rate and PowerLink generators offer an impressive electrical energy and heat energy conversion efficiency, reaching as much as 80-90%.
3) For PowerLink gas internal combustion generator sets, the typical turnaround time is 3 to 6 months from order to delivery. Installation and setup also need to be taken into account. Customers should note that depending on availability, this timeline may be reduced.
4) The power generation equipment is designed with a highly integrated, plug-and-play modular structure. This makes transportation to the installation site simpler and quicker, as well as allows for easier and faster project installations. This technology offers great advantages for both the customer and the supplier.
5) When picking out a power generation system, an essential factor to take into account is operational expenditures. Professional after-sales service and spare parts support, as well as maintenance intervals and downtime for repairs, need to be considered and weighed against one another. With experience accrued over many years of service, PowerLink generator sets are designed to provide years of continuous service – significantly reducing the need for spare parts and enabling pre-determined time frames for servicing, which in turn lowers total operational costs over its lifetime.
6) PowerLink provides a broad selection of gas engines (0. 01 to 2 MW) for various projects and can guide customers in selecting the most fitting gas generation unit. Our load analysis capabilities ensure you receive optimal performance from your generator solution.
7) It’s important to remember that environmental conditions can impact the power output of gas generators. Depending on your location and the circumstances surrounding its use, the actual output may be lower than its rated power. If an operation takes place at high temperatures or well above sea level, you should factor this in prior to usage.
Advantages of gas internal combustion generator set
As you know, there are many kinds of generators, such as diesel or liquid fuel, or solar generators, so what are the outstanding advantages of gas generator sets?
Gas fuel storage is convenient
On the contrary, liquid fuels such as diesel fuel and engine oil may be as time goes on and metamorphism and diesel can store up to 2 years. When liquid fuel is stored for long periods of time, it forms sediment, spawns fungi, and becomes gelatinous.
Gas fuel is more environmentally friendly. Natural gas burns cleaner than fossil fuels like diesel. As a result, gas gen-sets have a less negative impact on the overall climate and emit significantly less carbon dioxide, sulfur, and nitrogen.
Compared with fossil fuel, the gas cost is lower and more efficient
By volume, diesel is 10 times more expensive than gasoline. To generate the same amount of electricity, the required natural gas costs almost half as much as diesel. So, if you buy a gas generator, you’ll pay a lot less for fuel.
Have you ever seen a diesel or gasoline generator? If so, you can recall the pungent smell and high-decibel noise of gasoline engines when they are running; Gas-fired generators do not produce this smell because natural gas is usually odorless, and they are quieter when running.
Easy to obtain licenses
Generators, especially commercial ones, are subject to strict standards from local environmental authorities. Gas cars are easy to get permits for because of their lower emissions. The standard for non-emergency generators is more stringent, and many diesel or petroleum devices do not meet this standard.
Gas generators are also easily allowed for non-emergency uses because of cleaner combustion and fewer emissions. No more tedious paperwork and hunting around for compliance equipment!
Strong adaptability to the environment
Diesel or gasoline generators often fail if placed in wet or cold conditions. As a result, they may malfunction in the case of heavy rain or storms. Gas-fired generating units do not have this problem. They work in all conditions.
What else should we pay attention to when choosing a gas generator set?
There are many types and sizes of gas generator sets. The smallest one is 10kW, and the largest one can generate 2000KW per hour.
If you use a gas unit for a home, small farm, or small hotel, you can choose a microgenerator unit. If you’re installing gas-fired power for schools, large hotels, data centers, airports, etc., you’ll need larger generators.
Gas generator sets have high professional and technical requirements. The equipment provided by famous suppliers or service agents has excellent performance and a good after-sales service guarantee, which includes the option of a warranty extension.
Gas generator set system is more complex, but has significant advantages, the selection of generating set needs to consider a variety of factors: installation cost, system efficiency, operating cost, production and commissioning time, etc., which has relatively high requirements for professionals.
If you choose gas power generation equipment, you need us to provide you with high-quality products, please contact us using the details below.
Contact Number: +44 1977 689100
Speak To A
Member Of Our Team
Whether you’re a distributor looking to bulk buy, or a contractor for project based units, or an end user – we may be able to help!
Get in touch with our team to find out more.